The banking chief admitted customers had been ‘let down’ as many were left without access to their cash or the ability to use their debit card.
As the bank struggles to sort out and allocate money which is lying uncredited to customers’ accounts, calls are mounting for the head of the bank to be dismissed.
Social media sites have been sent into overdrive with customers complaining not just about the inability to access funds, but also the lack of information and the inability of NatWest to tell them when the problem will be remedied.
The bank says that it has now corrected the technical problem but is left with a mountainous backlog to catch up on, which saw it open for the first time on a Sunday. Not all accounts have been affected but so far, NatWest is unable to confirm how many of the 17 million affected customers are still without access to their cash.
Stephen Hester has admitted that it ‘should not have happened’ and acknowledged that the bank’s customers rely on its services to pay for essential items such as food. He has promised that any customers put in a position of hardship will receive help from the bank but this has by no means appeased many of those that have suffered.
NatWest has pledged that no-one will suffer a problem with their credit file due to non-payment because of the bank’s error and has also said that it will pay all costs. However, some businesses are claiming that they have lost major contracts because of the temporary inability to access their funds and are demanding to know how the bank will compensate them.